What’s as awesome as the animated gif above of The Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne dancing in a giant ball? Our list of the top 8 shows for you to check out this weekend. We’ve got something to recommend for everyone – from shows of pop-folksters to a rock’n’roll fundraiser to a performance from a girl-fronted band that parodies The Ramones. We didn’t forget it’s 420, either. We’ve got a few special shows for Saturday below and have written a dedicated post to the top 10 events happening that glorious day as well.
8. Bambara, Advaeta, Highway Gimps, Juniper Rising, Isn’t Ours, Total Slacker (DJ Set) @ Silent Barn (Friday, 9 PM, $7)
Their event description leads with this: “This year, expect a pinata filled with bill clinton bobble-heads, a kiddie pool full of bunnies, walls of gumdrops, an ostrich egg hunt, cakes made out of speculous spread, dogs on bikes, coconut milkshakes, ponytails… and carrots…. for the bunnies.” How could you resist?
7. AK, Just Post Bellum, Katie Von Schleicher @ Brooklyn Fireproof (Friday, 5 PM, $8)
For the reserved stoner this would be an early afternoon into the evening affair pre-420 blowout. Grab a bite, oder some wine and sit back to a few civilized tunes from AK, a singer who’s been on our radar lately with her haunting voice, which embodies so many different moods and genres.
6. Caged Animals, Moon King, Leapling, Sexy Merlin, @Big Snow (Friday 8 PM, $7)
A fantastic line-up fills Big Snow for this friday night show which features local band Caged Animals and Canadian sensation Moon King.
5. Ava Luna, Grass is Green, Tremors II, CandyWhompus, Baked @Big Snow (Saturday 6 PM, $7)
The 420 Monster Party over at Big Snow is shaping up to be another show geared towards the holiday. The lineup is sure to align with the loyal “BYOW.” Get down with funk-soul-hipsters Ava Luna.
4. The Fort Brooklyn 10th Anniversary RADTASTIC ROCK SHOW Fundraiser @ The Fort (5PM-, $22.50 Advance/$25 Door)
Bushwick recording studio The Fort will be celebrating its 10th Anniversary with a black-tie fundraiser! For around $20, you can see Bushwick bands and eat and drink for FREE all day! Bands include Electric People, Our Mountain, The Nuclears, Youth Quake, Vulture Shit and Atomic Hips. Not only will this be jam-packed with fun, you’ll be helping a good cause. The Fort is having a little trouble financially, so attending this event will really help. We wrote an article about it earlier this week that you can read here.
3. Young Magic @ Ran Tea House (Friday 8pm, $5)
Just do it.
2. Dinowalrus, Mean Creek, I Eat Paint, Gross Relations @ Shea Stadium (Saturday, 8 pm, $8)
Dinowalrus is a pretty remarkable example of a psychedelic rock band making a name for themselves in Brooklyn. Featuring a past member of Titus Andronicus, you can feel the punk influence when they let loose vocally and the lo-fi influence when they give themselves over to that reverb guitar.
1. Colleen Green, Habibi, Pop Zeus, Juniper Rising @ Death By Audio (Sunday, 8pm, $7)
Colleen Green describes her music with three genres: punk, experimental, and stoner. Her latest EP is called Milo Goes to Compton. When you actually listen to her music, particularly”I Wanna be Degraded,” it sounds like a wave-washed, sugary version of the Ramones original, “I Wanna be Sedated.” All signs point towards this being a great show.